Sunday, August 2, 2009

Still working

My graph work is coming along, slowly but steadily.

I've got Graph, Vertex, Edge, List, and Node types involved. Node is essentially done - completely coded but I might end up adding more to it (I hope not!). List is planned for the most part, just need to finalize on that, and then implementing it is almost entirely boilerplate kind of code. After List is implemented, I can write Vertex and Edge, which should each be pretty fast. They'll almost entirely be just the basic stuff (get/set, copy, create, destroy, equivalence, tostring) and maybe 1-2 specific operations. Then there'll be the graph itself, which also should be easy enough to do.

The hard part will come in designing and implementing the operations for the graph, I think. And also for extending the base types. I'm going to make queue/stack extensions to the list, a set of tree operations as a special-case on the graph, and also common things like minimum spanning tree, shortest path, a*, that kind of stuff. So for now it's just whenever I've got a spare hour or so and I have my Eee with me, I tap away at it.

I'm also drawing a lot, my skill has noticeably improved just since the beginning of the summer. I'm reading a design/typography book that's setting everything out in very clear, obvious terms, which is exactly what I need. Once I have these basic elements committed to memory, I'll do worlds better with higher concepts.

One last thing, I've also *started* a project called "world of blogging", which I may or may not work more on. The notion is: how to get involved in the blogosphere. I feel I'm the perfect candidate to write on the topic, as I'm hardly inolved in the actual blogging community at all. I will write what I do as I do it, to gain the best understanding, and become involved as I go. It's a twofold experience of getting myself involved and writing about something. Exciting. My first foray was into Music blogging because I _really_ wanted to be exposed to more new and cool music. My first google search, (for "music blog", I believe) turned up hypem.com, a music-blog aggregator, which collects and streams music it finds on popular blogs. I figured it would be a good looking but ultimately shallow and useless tool in my endeavour, and I was wrong! It has been an invaluable resource and given me more than I could possibly need.

I had taken some screenshots and written about a thousand words when I went away for a short while and... windows update rebooted my computer. I had foolishly worked in Notepad and not saved a damn thing, so I didn't exactly rush back into working on the project. It has since languished -- but may see revival soon.

Join me in the forever and ever endeavour!

Just wanted to say "forever and ever endeavour". When I thought of that, I immediately googled it. I'm actually happy other people have thought of it too, more than sad I'm not the first to come up with it. That's all for now - good night!

No comments: